Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so.


Monday, March 29, 2010

Bank People and Coffee Girl

"You can't shake hands with a clenched fist." -Ghandi

They say that true kindness comes from those who are nice when they don't have to be. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I remembered when I was standing in the long line at the bank... so I told everyone I was going to take a while with the teller, and I let them go ahead. I bought the girl her coffee when she didn't have enough money. They all said thanks, and it was no problem.

Now as I'm sitting at home, I'm trying to find praise in these deeds, but it's difficult. I've started to think that it's the people we know that matter more. We look for recognition in kindness done toward our friends and family. It is easier to do something for someone unknown. I will never see the bank people or the coffee girl again, so therefore I expect nothing in return from them. If kindness is acted toward someone we know, it is harder to forget the favor, and we expect them also to remember and repay their "debt" to us. There is an unspoken obligation.

Kindness is only true when it is done and nothing in return is expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment